Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Potty Training: Day 2

While I wanted to tell you that we saw marked improvement today, I have to admit that Day 2 was just about as successful as Day 1, maybe even less so, if we count accidents and potty successes. At one point, Caleb managed to pee on the floor four times in an hour and a half!

So, another frustrating day. However, there were some glimmers of hope.

First, Caleb was much more compliant today about sitting on the potty. He sat often and long, though it did not prevent the (seemingly) immediate accident afterward. Because I was not fighting him all day, my day went much better, and I am in a better frame of mind at the end of the day.

Caleb continues to be concerned about the messes he makes. He immediately stops whatever he's doing and cries out. Sometimes it's "uh oh" or "poopy" (though it's pee), but mostly it's "Mommy! Mommy!" and, to my amusement, when Jon got home, "Daddy! Daddy!" Caleb stands in the middle of the puddle as if it is an island on which he is marooned. He waits for us to whisk him away to be cleaned up.

Caleb once again went to bed early and tuckered out. It's such a big step for such a little boy. I've heard so many stories of kids training over a weekend, but I have to remind myself that Caleb is a good year younger than most of the kids in those stories. That year makes a big difference. So this week may just be the beginning of potty training for us, or it may be the big red flag to let us know that our boy is just not ready yet. As of today, I really don't know how it will turn out.

More tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Love your story, I can see him standing marooned on his "island" of pee!!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment!