Saturday, November 26, 2011

Sock Hoarder

A few weeks ago, I noticed that I was constantly running out of socks for the boys. At first, I didn't think too much about it. Both boys take their socks off all over the house, and drop them, throw them, catapult them everywhere. So...maybe I just hadn't found a few of those.

As the days went by, I got a little more concerned. Where WERE all these socks going?? I pulled James's crib out from the wall--no socks. I checked inside all of Caleb's shoes--no socks. I peered inside the washer and dryer--no socks. Hm.

So, for the sake of warm feet on the cusp of cooler weather, I bought a big pack of socks for each boy. They're Hanes, with the non-skid writing on the bottom. Caleb calls them his "rubber socks" and he loves them. James gets a little more traction for his walker. All in all, a good deal, but still a little mystifying.

As we got ready for Caleb's birthday party, we rearranged the living room. The couch got moved away from the wall.

Lo and behold, a pile of socks. And a missing kitchen towel! I can imagine that one day, after all the laundry was folded and ready to be put away, a little boy found a ball of socks. He wondered what to do with that ball, because it couldn't remain where it was (a little boy's mantra). So he looked around and spied the couch. He'd put things behind the couch before, and it seemed the perfect spot. Plop! Went the little ball of socks. How very satisfying! And look, there's a whole pile of socks and sock balls! Plop, plop, plop! There they all go. Now there are no more socks.

Oh, well. That was fun.

And off he walked, never to think of those socks again.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I can picture it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe, so tired harried momma put them on the top of the couch and they fell over. But fine, fine, blame the child.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment!