TX to AR:
1 check engine light
1 AAA phonecall
1 stop to the mechanic
1 picnic blanket stop on the side of the road
18 Wheels on the Bus
6 Itsy Bitsy Spider
23 made up songs
7 hours of travel done in 11
AR to TX:
4 mosquito bites (that I've found so far)...thankfully on me, not Caleb
1 new favorite toy
1 traffic jam
7 hours of travel done in 10
It all adds up to a happy mama and baby--happy to be back home, but we had such a good time! Caleb busted out in a real crawl on Thursday night, but he didn't do it much after that, and we never got it on video. We visited with Jon's grandmothers, who were so excited to see Caleb. Caleb took naps and got caught in the rain with Granddad. He read books and tried carrots with Nana. He was his general happy self all weekend. His night schedule was a little thrown off, so we'll see if he settles back into sleeping through the night tonight. It was nice to snuggle with him at night, though. And on Sunday, he started crying the minute we walked into the church nursery--a nursery he's never seen, but he knew we were about to leave him! However, Nana actually watches the babies in the nursery, so what Caleb didn't realize was that we were going to stay and play with him! We had tons of fun all weekend: shopping, letting Caleb swim in his little pool, seeing Granddad's garden, and playing with all kinds of toys. It was great, and I'd do it again despite the long trip.
Tips for traveling alone with a baby:
- Brings lots of toys, and give a new one to the baby at each stop.
- Expect a lot more diaper changes than normal...something about the bumpy ride?
- Don't be in a rush.
- When you need to go to the bathroom, take the baby with you and sit him on your lap. You gotta do everything one-handed, but hey, it works.
- Bring your nursing cover and feed the baby in the car in the McDonald's parking lot, or pull off into a neighborhood.
- Bring snacks for yourself so you don't have to stop except for gas and baby feedings. You'll be glad to save some time!
- Remember you're making memories!