Monday, November 17, 2008

Dr. Appointment

Today Jon and I got to meet Dr. P. She's very nice...a little awkward, but still informative and patient. She answered all our questions and took her time, which was good.

The appointment started out with the regular checks, so here they are:
Weight: Gained 0 lbs. Staying steady with a total of 26lbs!
Uterus: 33cms
Blood pressure: 137/93
Caleb's heart rate: 133bpm

Were you paying attention? Have you been learning from my oh-so-informative baby blog? If so, you would have noticed that once again, my blood pressure is high. Once again, I was left to lay on my side for 20 minutes or so, but this time, it didn't have the same effect. My blood pressure did go down, but only to 120/90. 120 is fine, but 90 is not. And since this is the second week in a row, the doctor has officially put me on bedrest.

First, we had another sonogram to make sure Caleb was doing okay. The sonographer had to look for heart rate, breathing, a certain number of body movements, and amniotic fluid. All of those were fine, though Caleb wasn't too cooperative with moving. I promised her he'd had the hiccups and had been rolling around just before the appointment (and is as I write this, as a matter of fact), but she had to witness it. We finally caught his foot twitch a little, his hand move, and we could see his lips moving as if he were sucking on a paci. It was pretty cute, if I do say so myself.

So Caleb passed, and we went back to the room to wait. I'd like to mention here that I was not wearing pants at this point, but the thin blue sheet they give me at the beginning of each appointment. So yes, I was waltzing down the hallway wrapped in a sheet. I think OBGYNs live to humiliate women, but that's just my opinion. :)

Back in the room, Dr. P discussed the sonogram and said it looked good and Caleb seemed to be doing fine. She said the sonographer did have some concern about the formation of Caleb's palate, that it might have a bit of a cleft to it, but from the images, it looked like his nose was just jabberwocky because it was smooshed against the placenta. However, to make sure, we're getting another sonogram next time, and probably in 4D! The dr. was really not concerned, so we won't be either. But good grief, isn't it amazing the random things that come up!

Dr. P talked about the high blood pressure a little more. Basically, the only "cure" for it is to have the baby, but our baby is clearly still not ready to come out (that's right, still no dilation or effacement). Because of that, any medical induction methods we could try would not work. So that's why we have to do our best to keep the blood pressure low to wait for Caleb to get ready to come. If the BP gets a lot higher with still no signs of progression from Caleb, I'll have to have a C-section. However, this doctor, like Dr. K, said that anything could happen, so we'll just wait and see.

I have to go in on Thursday for my blood pressure check and sonogram, and I think I'll be going in twice a week for BP checks until Caleb comes. Dr P felt the same as Dr. K, that we probably wouldn't be seeing this baby until the week of Thanksgiving.

So bed rest for me! I'm going to do enough work tomorrow to pass off the things I've been working on, and then I'm done! As you know, work has been quite stressful lately, so while I'm not happy that it's apparently affected my pregnancy, I will be glad to say goodbye to it a little earlier than expected, and get a chance to be rested and relaxed before Caleb comes.

6 comments:

  1. Can I be on bed rest with you?!?!?! I'll bring over all my girly movies and pop a huge bowl of popcorn. I'll even put my pj's on!!!!
    I'm jealous you get to lay in bed all day.
    On another note...not that I am an expert in pregnancy, but the majority of my friends who have been preggy over the past few years have had ths same blood pressure issue, so I wouldn't worry too much. I bet with a few good days of rest you will be fine.
    Dad called us about the palate last night and we were concerned for you guys, but it looks like it isn't too much of a concern. That's good. I am so glad you have an efficient doctor who will check on those things. what a blessing!!!
    I'll be praying for you this week...that the last push ( no pun intended) of your pregnancy will be safe and sound. Love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great team of doctors it sounds. Thorough, informative and caring...even if awkward!

    Hand over that lap top and kick back and enjoy the ride.

    And if you do have any questions about the palate thing if it comes up again, I know a WONDERFUL speech pathologist that could be quite helpful!

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLD IT! There is NO way I am bigger than you are! I don't see it! You said your Uterus measured 33 cm!!! Last time we met with our midwife I was 34 and that was nearly two weeks ago. GROANING I don't want to get any bigger!! Gee wizz I am only 28 weeks! I AM gonna pop! *laughing*

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Leslie: You have been bigger than me for several weeks, girl! Hate to tell ya. Something about having twins will do that to you! :) But my uterus measured at 35 at its largest a few weeks ago. The dr. said the baby is NOT shrinking, just pushing more inward or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, tonight I will bring over pizza, perhaps a movie, maybe some popcorn and we can... Nope, sorry going SHOPPING instead! I would invite you, but... :)

    Seriously, I might have something frozen! lol.

    Let me know if you need anything...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait... now that you have all this time on your hands, does this mean you will be updating your preggo photo's sometime soon???

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment!