Friday, November 14, 2008

Thirty-Nine Weeks

Well I knew this day would come. One day it would have to. But I thought it might be more gradual. I didn't expect it to be so sudden.

I'm ready for this baby to be born!

One day I'm bee-bopping around, getting things done, moving a little awkwardly, but still pretty normally. Then the next day...bam! Every movement is slow, it hurts to roll over, it hurts to sit at my computer, I can't make it to the phone in less than three rings, and I'm worn out!

I feel like I dream all night long. I dream about nursing, about labor, about money, about my job. When the alarm goes off I'm grateful for the break! Last night I tried to clear my mind before bed with a bath. I thought it worked until my head hit the pillow, which triggered "Bekah suggested I bring lots of pillows to the hospital...I wonder if two is lots, or do I need four?"* And so it went for the rest of the night.

However, one thing I did NOT think about was the holidays! Thankfully, my mom and the rest of the family are planning those events, and this little newbie family just has to show up! So that's a nice relief. Maybe if I spent a good effort tonight packing my hospital bag, I would quit dreaming about that, too.

*Regarding pillows at the hospital, the hospital pillows are notoriously horrible, so every class we've been to has suggested we bring our own pillows, in colored pillowcases to differentiate them from the white hospital pillows. Because Jon will be sleeping on a pull-out couch not meant for a 6'4" guy, my friend Bekah suggested I bring more pillows to accommodate. However, a guy in our Lamaze class said that there's a chair in the room that's the same height as the couch, so that can be used to extend the length a little.

So these are the thoughts of a 39-week prego. Despite the things I haven't done, yet, I'm still ready. I'm ready to be done with work, I'm ready to focus on one thing for a bit, and I'm ready to meet our son! Do you think he'll be a laid back little boy? Will he be fussy? Do you think he'll come out red and hairy like Esau? Do you think he'll be an animal lover? That Bonnie and Clyde will love our baby? Do you think Caleb will love the stars? Keep his nose in a book? Fight imaginary dragons? Take up photography or the study of military history like his parents? I'm excited to find these things out, and in all of it, I pray that Caleb will love the Lord and follow after Him courageously through his life.

So how is Caleb this week? BabyCenter says he's about 20 inches long and a little over 7 lbs. Based on Monday's sonogram, I'd say that was pretty close. He still wiggles around and stretches his legs. Occasionally he gets the hiccups, but not that often any more. He still seems pretty content to stay where he is, and I suppose for the most part I'm okay with that! I have plenty to keep me busy at work and with photography, and though I've complained about work quite a bit lately, it's certainly been a good distraction for these final weeks!

4 comments:

  1. Aw. Poor Lyd! I'm sorry your having these thoughts and feelings... but they are normal and each one of us can account for that! How's that saying go.. Aw, yes "This to shal pass" and my favorite: "Fake it til you make it" (Richard Simmons!).

    Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not long now! I'll be praying for you to be well-rested and organized and sleeping without dreams! I always dreamed about being a pregnant spy. That might have had something to do with my tendency to watch "Alias." I'm weird.

    (BTW, 39 weeks exactly is when I always seemed to go into labor. Just FYI! Hopefully, your labor won't last days and days like mine all did, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...the hairy part may just come true with the Norvell family :>). Don't tell anyone I said that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it's been a little stressful. Call me any time and I will do what I can to help! Ankle massage anyone?? =)

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment!